Teachers win the annual 6v6 volleyball tournament

The+all-teacher+team%2C+the+Grave+Diggers%2C+won+the+2017+Volleyball+tournament.+They+competed+in+the+finals+against+the+Black+Mambos.+

Julia Pardee

The all-teacher team, the Grave Diggers, won the 2017 Volleyball tournament. They competed in the finals against the Black Mambos.

Caroline Savage

The annual 6v6 volleyball tournament was held on Thursday in the Wall High School gym. The event, organized by the Class of 2017 and advisor Ginny Clevenger, benefited both the class fund and the Where Angels Play Foundation.

The 11 all-student teams and one all-teacher team competed in a series of brief, self scored volleyball games. The event lasted roughly an hour and a half, beginning at 3 and ending at 4:30.

Sophomore Ally Weitzman of Colts Neck managed the brackets for the event.

According to Weitzman, the double-elimination tournament was split into two divisions, Blue and Silver. The teacher team the Grade Diggers triumphed in the Silver division, while the Black Mambas, a team of all sophomores, won the Blue division.

In the end, the Grade Diggers won the title of first place after defeating the Black Mambas in the final, inter-division game.

Many students who competed were previously inexperienced with volleyball, but nevertheless enjoyed the event.

“Even though I’m not the best at volleyball, I had a really good time with everyone on and off my team,” Junior Abi Karl of Monmouth Beach said.

Senior Kevin Dixson of Wall also enjoyed the social aspect of the event.

“My experience overall was pretty fun because I love any and every chance I get to be weird and hang out with my friends,” Dixson said.  

The Where Angels Play Foundation, a partial beneficiary of the event, builds playgrounds in needy areas in honor of the 26 victims of the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.

Karl appreciated the addition of a charity to the event.

“Overall,” Karl said, “it’s an awesome event full of positive people and for a good cause.”