Students take on reffing sports games as jobs

Anthony Quattrocchi of Matawan began to referee eighth grade soccer two years ago.

Courtesy of Anthony Quattrocchi

Kiera Gill

High school is a time for teenagers to get a taste of what the real world is like, and many get this exposure through a job, internship or volunteer task. According to NewsOk, an Oklahoma City newspaper, one in four students at age 16 or older work, which is more than 3 million workers nationwide.

Some students use their athletic experience and passion for their sport in their work as student referees.

Senior Anthony Quattrocchi of Matawan has played soccer since he was around five years old and began to referee eighth grade soccer two years ago.

I needed some kind of job before I turned 16, and I figured reffing would be a really great way to stay in shape while making some money,” Quattrocchi said. “Sometimes it’s a little hard to focus with parents, coaches and players trying to argue with you, but once you get confident on the field, it’s a really fun job.”

Student referees often have less experience than adult referees, which could be negative for the players on the field. But sophomore Erica Sammarco of Colts Neck feels differently. Sammarco plays soccer and has been refereed by students numerous times, and believes that it is beneficial to her game.

“I feel like the younger refs are more likely to know what it’s like to play the game and understand when you should make a call and when you should allow the athlete to play on,” Sammarco said.