CHS receives National Blue Ribbon honor

This+program+acknowledges+private+and+public+schools+across+the+country+for+%E2%80%9Ctheir+overall+academic+experience+or+their+progress+in+closing+achievement+gaps+among+student+subgroups%2C%E2%80%9D+according+to+the+U.S.+Department+of+Education.+

Blot photo by Luke Sassa

This program acknowledges private and public schools across the country for “their overall academic experience or their progress in closing achievement gaps among student subgroups,” according to the U.S. Department of Education.

Madison Beekman

For the second time in twenty years, the U.S. Department of Education named Communications High School (CHS) a National Blue Ribbon School, among 362 others nationwide. Prior to this year, CHS also won the award in 2012.

This program acknowledges private and public schools across the country for “their overall academic experience or their progress in closing achievement gaps among student subgroups,” according to the U.S. Department of Education. CHS received the award in the “Exemplary High Performing Schools” category.

Spanish teacher and sophomore class advisor, Karen Britto, oversaw the application process for the award and felt that everyone in the school community earned the distinction.

“I think it’s an outstanding honor that we deserve,” Britto said. “I think the students and staff here at CHS are exceptional and I’m glad to be recognized.”

Junior Charlotte Frick of Wall agreed with Britto. 

“Getting this award is a testament to just how hard all students and staff work to make CHS the amazing place it is,” Frick said.

Britto believes that CHS stands apart from other schools by providing a “well-rounded education” for students by creating a balance between fun and hard work. 

Frick said she can see how CHS would stand out from other high schools in multiple ways.

“We try ten times as hard to make everything perfect, we always try to do our best, and it’s really easy to just be yourself,” Frick said. “We all have things that we are passionate about. CHS gives us the ability to further explore that passion and possibly even develop it into a career.”