Students make strides at annual Breast Cancer Walk

Blot photo by Zoe Conner-Bennett

Senior Jack McHugh of Manasquan and history teacher Sharyn O’Keefe walk amongst the crowd on Sunday wearing pink apparel.

Emma Barofsky

The National Honors Society (NHS) took another step towards cementing a new annual tradition, by participating in Point Pleasant’s Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk on Sunday, Oct. 20.

The American Cancer Society, who oversees the walk on a national level, started the event as a way to unite communities in the fight against breast cancer. Students from CHS participated in this three mile walk to raise money for cancer research and patient services, such as lodging and travel fees.

NHS adviser and math teacher Justine Lane created the CHS team, encouraging students and families to donate money towards the cause. The team comprised of 48 students, faculty, and family members, and raised $2,390, surpassing last year’s total of $2,201.

“[Raising more money] makes me want to keep doing this, making it a CHS tradition and doing a little bit better every year,” Lane said.

Senior and NHS President Heather Griffin of Wall explained that the event had more meaning to it than just raising money.

“The walk itself was a lot of fun for everyone who went. We all got to spend a few hours together and support such a great cause,” Griffin said.

In order for CHS to successfully participate in the walk, several individuals from the club were involved in advertisements, organization, and other aspects of the event. According to Griffin, the group effort paid off in the end.

“Council and I worked hard this year to get as much involvement from everyone as we could,” Griffin said. “I really hope that even more people at CHS will contribute in the future.”