SkillsUSA and NTHS close out Spirit Week with Homecoming dance

Blot photo by Tess Rempel

Students dance at the ‘Black and Gold’ themed event.

Emma Barofsky

After the end of Fall Spirit Week, SkillsUSA and NTHS hosted the third annual Homecoming dance on Friday, Nov. 1. The club organized its members into food, decoration, and advertisement committees during the planning process to make the “Black and Gold” theme come to life. Senior and SkillsUSA President Neil Estrada of Middletown was pleased with the outcome.

“There was definitely a lot of work. Thankfully, I think we had the best participation I have ever seen in SkillsUSA and NTHS,” Estrada said.

Before the dance, CHS students nominated individuals in their grade for the Homecoming Court. At the dance, they voted once again for the final two winners. 

The court included freshmen Lucy Battista of Tinton Falls and Eddie Gunnell of Spring Lake Heights, sophomores Kacie Farrell of Lincroft and Drew Lepping of West Long Branch, juniors Madison Beekman of Shark River and Steve Ostrom of Lincroft and seniors Sidney Washington of Asbury Park and Ryan Swanson of Brielle. For the CHS faculty category, students voted for math teacher Justine Lane, as well as SkillsUSA adviser and math teacher Scott Stengele.

In addition to Estrada, Stengele was also content with the club’s hard work and the end result. 

“[SkillsUSA members did] the design work, the making of the streamers, just getting the room ready. Lots of people helped,” Stengele said.

Junior Francesca McCaffrey of West Long Branch has been attending CHS since the start of Homecoming dances and explained that she loves this new tradition.

“Throughout the night, students from all grades danced with each other and overall had a great time. I definitely think this dance brings our school together,” McCaffrey said.