Colleges, employers weigh in on Blue Ribbon status

Creative commons photo courtesy of the U.S. Department of Education (ED)

Although the Blue Ribbon Award is only received by around 360 schools nationwide each year, the status is not widely recognized or tracked among colleges and universities. https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Madison Beekman and Zoe Conner-Bennett

Students who attend a Blue Ribbon high school have plenty to brag about, but the distinction alone is not going to guarantee admission to a highly selective college or an internship.

“I think it’s a great honor for the school to be selected as a Blue Ribbon school, but I would say that most people probably would look at it and say, ‘Well what does that mean?’” said Principal James Gleason.

The program invites private and public schools across the country to apply based on “their overall academic experience or their progress in closing achievement gaps among student subgroups,” according to the U.S. Department of Education. The school must also show that it consistently meets these requirements. CHS received the award in the “Exemplary High Performing Schools” category. 

According to math teacher Justine Lane, who filled out the application alongside Gleason and spanish teacher Karen Britto, the document ended up being around 20 pages long. 

Although the Blue Ribbon Award is only received by around 360 schools nationwide each year, the status is not widely recognized or tracked among colleges and universities. 

Jennifer Hollis, assistant director of marketing and communications at Rutgers University, said the admissions board looks more deeply at a student’s individual academic achievements than the status that their school holds. 

“We review the competitive college preparation program undertaken by each student as demonstrated by the courses taken and grades achieved,” Hollis said.

Sophomore James Finnegan of Brielle said he plans to show off CHS’s academic profile on his college applications, however, he believes the status will be irrelevant in future career prospects. 

“They don’t really care what high school you went to,” Finnegan said. “It’s more what college you went to or if you have a college degree.”

Nina Phalanukorn of Family Resource Associates, Inc. (FRA) has accepted many CHS students through the mentorship program. While FRA does recognize the status, it isn’t a main consideration when applying for an internship or job.

“Since the Blue Ribbon status is an award for the school and not the individual, it would not affect our decision for either hiring or internships,” Phalanukorn said. “However, seeing that an applicant has come from a high quality educational institution reinforces our selection and expectation that the person will be well prepared for the position.”

Regardless of its effects on college or job applications, the Blue Ribbon Award is reflective of the school’s goals and environment, according to junior Charlotte Frick of Wall.

“I think the Blue Ribbon Award is a really nice way to recognize all of the work that students and teachers put in throughout the school year,” Frick said.