Does CHS technology maintain industry standards?

A survey of 45 CHS students from April 26 to May 2.

BLOT GRAPHIC BY TIM WILBURN

Brandon Kopp

The rapid progression of technology in recent years gives new, state-of-the-art tech a lifespan of only a few years before it is tossed aside, regarded as old and outdated. NASA’s Space Center Houston museum features an exhibit showing what life was like for the average person in the late 1980s. In the span of 40 years, a vast array of technology went from being cutting-edge to being found only in museums for future generations to ponder at.

Since the ‘80s, the period of relevancy for a new piece of technology has only decreased; most consumers today are only keeping devices such as cell phones and computers for three to five years before they feel that they are lacking the features and speed of newer tech.

CHS’s interactive curriculum allows students to make use of the school-provided technology in order to prepare themselves for their future careers. Experience with industry standards is extremely important to ensure that students have as smooth of an experience as possible when starting a new job. If, when applying to jobs, students found that their knowledge stopped being useful in the real world a decade before they gained it, they would not only be left upset and frustrated but would be far behind other applicants who had the proper experience.

Although keeping technology up-to-date can be particularly expensive compared to other school materials, CHS is aware of the importance of this task. No piece of hardware or software that can be found throughout the building is outdated.

Programming teacher Laura Gesin is confident that all of the technology her classes use is up-to-date. She is positive that it will remain so for years to come due to her ability to update the curriculum based on what tools become available in the near future.

“The vast majority of software used to make programs is free,” Gesin said.

Six years ago, the television and radio studios were completely renovated, updating the technology to match industry standards. Television teacher Jennifer Cornine explains that it was an important investment of over $1 million, as it helps students to learn current technology that can immediately be applied to the professional industry.

“It was an incredible investment of capital into our system and the yield was a state-of- the-art facility designed to take us through at least a decade,” Cornine said.

Radio teacher Bill Bengle expressed a similar importance in the renovation of the radio studio.

“Many of the items we chose were new at some point and have grown to be industry standard across all contemporary delivery platforms,” Bengle said. “Our studios are better equipped and arrayed than most professional studios…You probably have access to more modern equipment now in [our] high school than you will in most colleges and professional settings.”

In addition, there are many Apple iMacs throughout CHS. They are utilized by many themed classes, such as those focused on video production, design and programming. The computers are able to handle demanding tasks such as photo and video editing with ease, and they are updated to the latest software every few years to ensure compatibility with all programs used.

Junior Danielle Lirov of Marlboro used Adobe Premiere Pro in Digital Video II and did not experience many problems with the computer or software speed.

“Speaking from a digital video perspective, the Adobe Suite and iMacs that we use are very current,” Lirov said. “I think that because the technology we use is so good, we’re able to get higher quality edits and overall produce better films.”

It is clear that CHS in its current state is completely up to date in providing students access to industry-standard equipment that they may use after graduating. However, continual checks on every computer and piece of software and hardware throughout the building are necessary to ensure that CHS doesn’t fall behind. Fortunately, these are already in place.

“Just last year, the entire staff team were tasked by Mr. Gleason to study our equipment and techniques to see if we match industry standards,” Bengle said. “We all found that we do.”

Teachers such as Bengle and Cornine have a passion for providing students with the proper knowledge and experience they need upon graduating, despite the fact that this can require the curriculum to be changed frequently. This same passion is found in all of CHS’ teachers and is what allows the school to succeed.