Beloved CHS tradition of dodgeball puts seniors in first-place: Day 3 of Fall Spirit Week

Seniors celebrate their dodgeball victory.

BLOT PHOTO BY JORDAN JULIANO

Yaritza Reyes Contrera

Students and staff in the halls of CHS could come across anything from totes to tires carrying school supplies as Fall Spirit week continued on Wednesday, Oct. 26 with “Anything but a Backpack Day.”

The much-anticipated dodgeball, a beloved CHS event, was the event of the day. Students brought eye black and game faces to gather in the back of the cafeteria for the ultimate sports showdown. The event started off with the freshmen pitted against the seniors. Then, the sophomores competed against the juniors. From there, the freshman took third place from the juniors.

Not discouraged by the impromptu sideline chant of “Let’s go sophomores!” the seniors were able to take the sophomores out one-by-one before catching the final throw and finishing off the game.

“I am so happy after the dodgeball game,” said senior A Kopec of Oceanport. “I’m definitely very, very exhausted though.”

With this being their first CHS Spirit Week, the freshmen are proud of their performance considering that they competed against the seniors – seasoned spirit week competitors.

“I’m definitely tired and sweaty,” said freshman Angelina Freel DePalma of Middletown. “But it was really fun even though the freshmen got third.”

When the event ended, theme participation and event points revealed the overall standings. The seniors are in first place with 106 points, followed very closely by the sophomores with 105 points, then the juniors with 88 points and the freshmen with 78 points.

The competition will continue tomorrow with the BBQ Dad vs. Soccer Mom theme and Super Scav event.