Students are falling for colder seasons

As temperatures drop students find things to enjoy about autumn.
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

PHOTO OBTAINED FROM NEGATIVE SPACE THROUGH CREATIVE COMMONS

As temperatures drop students find things to enjoy about autumn. https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Ava Rubinstein and Madison Demaree

Fall: the season of pumpkin spice, apple picking and flannel jackets. Many of these elements instill feelings of joy and warmth, which stems from society’s tendency to romanticize the season.

To romanticize one’s life often means to idealize it and make it seem more appealing than it actually is. Those who make light of life tend to adopt a more positive mindset, always appreciating the little things, even simple daily tasks.

Many view the transition into the new season as an opportunity to partake in activities and trends that are specific to the time of year. Junior Brenna Furniss of Belmar mentioned what comes to her mind when she hears the word “fall.”

“I think of the leaves changing, pumpkin spice lattes, apple pie, sweaters and Halloween,” Furniss said.

Sophomore Charlotte Ross of Fair Haven holds similar thoughts about the season.

“I love pumpkin flavored things, I’m pumped for pumpkin,” Ross said. “I’m also a big Gilmore Girls fan.”

While it was released in 2000, the television series Gilmore Girls is still a seasonal favorite for many once the air turns crisp and the leaves begin to change colors.

Mother daughter duo Lorelai and Rory Gilmore, along with the rest of the quaint town of Stars Hollow, never fail to instill a sense of comfort, nostalgia and familiarity in viewers.

Along with the changing of seasons comes a shift in fashion styles as well. Fall’s warm palette of reds, oranges and browns are a common inspiration for outfits, and the classic plaid flannel always makes an appearance.

Senior Molly Dettlinger of Brielle shared some of her favorite aspects of fall fashion.

“I love all the fall colors, sweaters and those cute little UGG boots that are trending,” Dettlinger said.

Hitting their peak in the early 2000’s, UGG’s were popular for many years before eventually fading out of style. However, UGG has reemerged and slowly made its comeback. The brand has developed a new aesthetic while still staying true to its roots according to Today. Despite the style they take shape in, the feelings of comfort and warmth that the shoes create ensure their seasonal reappearance.

Whether it be through food, fashion or entertainment, nearly everyone is romanticizing fall this year and finding some component of the season to look forward to.

“I love fall, it’s my favorite season,” Furniss said. “It makes me so happy.”