Families gather in Belmar for second annual bonfire

By ALEX TAGLIERI

Staff Writer

The Parent Student Faculty Association held their second annual back-to-school bonfire Friday in Belmar for CHS families.

BLOT PHOTO BY CAROLINE IBARRA New and returning students gather to roast marshmallows at the Parent Student Faculty Association's second annual back-to-school bonfire.
BLOT PHOTO BY CAROLINE IBARRA
New and returning students gather to roast marshmallows at the Parent Student Faculty Association’s second annual back-to-school bonfire.

Students from all four grades attended and spent three hours with their friends around a smoldering fire. As the sun set, some classmates played the guitar and sang, while others played a game of football.

Freshman Shannon Bradley of Keyport said she appreciated this type of event because she was able to bond with her grade.

“The bonfire was more enjoyable than a dance because we got to talk to people and were able to hear them,” Bradley said.

For Debbie Talamo, the PSFA co-president, that was the exact thinking they used to come up with the idea. Her co-president, Kathy Gilbert, came up with the idea a year ago and they decided to keep it versus the old pasta party.

“I think it’s unique, and it’s more relaxed,” said Talamo. “People are more open.”

While Bradley spent the night singing ‘Carry On’ by fun. with her new friends, others roasted marshmallows by the fire.

Sophomore Connor Duffy of Freehold, who attended the bonfire last year, said he preferred the experience this year.

“Last year was more of bonding with new people, and this year is more of enjoying the experience,” Duffy said.

Before running back to his friends, Duffy added, “Keep doing this, because it’s fun.”