Halloween dance a big fundraiser for SkillsUSA

Julia Pardee and Riley Mullan

Spirit Week concluded with a Halloween dance on Friday, hosted by SkillsUSA. It was a said to be a huge success with around 150 tickets sold, according to the club’s president senior Nina-Marie Amadeo of Middletown.

BLOT PHOTO BY NINA-MARIE AMADEO Senior Noah Gorstein of Millstone was one of the two student DJs at SkillsUSA's Halloween dance on Friday.
BLOT PHOTO BY NINA-MARIE AMADEO
Senior Noah Gorstein of Millstone was one of the two student DJs at SkillsUSA’s Halloween dance on Friday.

Amadeo said that only 14 tickets were sold on Wednesday and she believed that the dance was not going to happen.

“[I went] from not thinking it was going to happen, to having everyone who came have a lot of fun. We had around 130 people actually show up to the dance which is a pretty high turnout,” Amadeo said.

Since the dance boasted high attendance, Amadeo hopes that there will be similar events to follow in the future. Sophomore Sallie Haas of Deal described the dance as “really fun and well decorated.”

During the dance, the results of Spirit Week were announced. The seniors won first place, sophomores came in second, juniors were third and the freshmen took fourth place.

Senior Tyler Paley of Howell, under the name DJ Bear, played a mix of Halloween and pop songs with fellow senior Noah Gorstein of Millstone. Paley and Gorstein also acted as DJs at the back to school dance in September.

“I think [the dance] had a good amount of holiday and dance songs,” senior Valerie Pinnola of Manalapan said.

In addition to the music, there was a photo booth with a zombie background to continue the Halloween theme. The photos will be on sale during school on Monday to support the Photo Club.

Students who purchased a dance ticket were automatically eligible to win raffle prizes. These included a basket of chocolate-covered Oreos and the larger prize, a $20 gift card to Chipotle.

The Halloween Dance raised almost $1,050 for SkillsUSA, according to Amadeo.