Group discussions conclude summer reading assignment

On Sept. 24, the CHS faculty and student body divided into groups to discuss their summer reading books. Class periods were shortened, and the school operated on a DEAR schedule.

Over the summer, students were asked to choose from four book options including “Fahrenheit 451” by Ray Bradbury, “Unbroken” by Laura Hillenbrand, “How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents” by Julia Alvarez and “A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier” by Ishmael Beah.

The members of each group read the same novel. One staff member and one student volunteer led the discussion groups. The discussion sessions were also separated into upper and lowerclassmen; the freshman collaborated with the sophomores, and the juniors worked with the seniors.

Sophomore Abi Karl of Monmouth Beach read “A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier.” Karl said she believed that her discussion ran smoothly and benefited the students.

“I think I definitely had a better understanding of the book after I left the classroom,” Karl said.

Karl’s experience showed some success in the goal of the assignment. “Everyone participated a lot, and we actually ran out of time.”

Freshman Audrey Wilenta of Wall Township also read “A Long Way Gone.” Unlike Karl, however, Audrey saw flaws in the summer reading system. Though she enjoyed collaborating with her peers, Wilenta said her discussion room was lacking one key element – time.

“One change I would make for the discussions would be ensuring that there was enough time to elaborate on the most important parts of the book,” Wilenta said.

Junior Alex Paredes of Atlantic Highlands read “Unbroken” and said the discussions were rewarding.

“The group discussions were really enlightening. If you couldn’t understand some aspects of the book, someone else could have brought it up to help you understand,” Paredes said.

Freshman Ronald Cole from Neptune agreed that the discussions were valuable. Cole read “Fahrenheit 451.”

“I didn’t participate that much, but I still followed the discussion and was able to make sense of different parts of the book … I hope to join in more next year,” Cole said.

Photo credits to Meagan McDowell.