Three Shows of “Twelve”

The CHS Drama Club presented three shows of their fall production of “Twelve” on Nov. 20 and 21 in the school’s cafeteria. Two evening shows and a matinee were offered for families, students and friends. Tickets were sold in school last week for $5 each or at the door for $7.
“Twelve” was an adaption of the play “Twelve Angry Men” by Reginald Rose. The original play featured only men, but CHS’ production was co-ed, although it followed the same plot.
The play takes place in a jury room in 1954 after a murder trial. The 12 jury members have to decide whether a young man is guilty of murder or not. The verdict will decide whether the man lives or receives the death penalty, leaving the weight of the boy’s life in the jury’s hands. As the play goes on, the audience learns more about the background and character of each jury member as their votes switch between guilty and not guilty.
Sophomore Jonathan Slovak of Spring Lake Heights starred as Juror 8, who was initially the only juror in support of a “not guilty” verdict.
“I loved playing my character; he was fighting for a good cause. He proved there was reasonable doubt and definitely would have convinced me to switch sides,” Slovak said.
Other jury members included seniors, Olivia Keavey of Shrewsbury as Juror 3 and Sallie Haas of Deal as Juror 9; juniors, Kat Holtz of Hazlet as Juror 7, Mark Dispigna of Lincroft as Juror 11, Rebecca Madeira of Howell as Juror 4, Matt Miller of Wall as Juror 6, and John Hennessy of Middletown as Juror 2; sophomores, Samantha LaRochelle of Middletown as Juror 10, Caroline Savage of Brielle as Juror 12 and Cameron DeStefano of Middletown as Juror 1; and freshman Summer Ward of Oceanport as Juror 5.
The cast began rehearsals in September under the guidance of director and senior Tricia Lowney of Long Branch.
“Twelve”’s crew also included senior Olivia Malesco of Middletown as producer, junior Annie Ruoff of Monmouth Beach as assistant director, senior Clay Paley of Howell as technical director, senior Daria Belikov of Middletown as art director and junior Angel Chasco of Middletown as stage manager. Behind the scenes, crew members created the set, managed the lighting and set the stage.
Junior Kierin Rogers of Keansburg was a member of the Drama Club’s stage crew for the show and said this year’s set was easy to create.
“The set is very simplistic, because it all takes place in one room and in one scene, and doesn’t change,” Rogers said.
The final production of “Twelve” ended on Saturday night, and Lowney and Malesco received flowers from cast and crew. The Drama Club will perform a second, new show in the spring.

Photo credits to Sarah Takash.