Clevenger, Condon honored as faculty of the year

Matt Miller

Junior Class Council Member Kathryn Willis of Tinton Falls said the Class of 2017 wouldn’t be the same without its adviser, fitness teacher Ginny Clevenger.

“She gets things done and plays a key role in council while still allowing us to run things the way we want to.,” Willis added.

“Certainly we would find it a lot more difficult to function if we didn’t have her, and I’m glad she is being recognized,” Willis said.

Clevenger won the Teacher of the Year award for the 2015-16 school year.
School nurse Dorothy Condon was also recognized as the Faculty Member of the Year.

The honor is given to teachers and supporting staff members who go above and beyond their duties in the school system to give students the best learning experience possible, Principal James Gleason said.

Both Clevenger said Condon said they were surprised but grateful to be Teacher and Faculty Member of the Year.

“I guess it’s nice to be recognized. I don’t really like any sort of recognition, but it is nice to be appreciated,” she said.

School Nurse Dorothy Condon in her office. Condon was recognized as Faculty Member of the Year after she was selected by a committee at the district level.

To be awarded the title, teachers, students and faculty members are asked to submit letters of recommendation to Gleason.

“I notify the staff as well as the students, so I send an email out to all. Then, I request letters of recommendation. I put a deadline on that, and once the due date is here, I collect all the letters that have come to me, and I forward that to a committee that’s composed up at the district level,” Gleason said.

The committee then selects a Teacher and Faculty Member of the Year.
Once the staff members are selected, they are notified and invited to a reception in their honor.

The district also supplies them with $500 each to spend within the school or for an educational purpose.

Clevenger said she plans to invest the money in new gym equipment or possibly a class iPad.

Junior Sarah Lang of Monmouth Beach said she thinks very highly of Clevenger and is happy she was recognized.

“Mrs. Clevenger has proved that she is a great teacher by passing on her passion of physical fitness onto her students, including those who had disliked gym and sports before taking her class,” Lang said.

Junior Abigail Silva of Neptune said she thinks Condon was rightfully awarded as well.

“I think it’s very impressive that she acts as a teacher and also the school nurse and that she takes on two roles.”

Condon said she truly appreciates engaging with CHS students on a daily basis.

“I really enjoy working with the kids here, so it’s just nice,” Condon said. “It’s a nicey nice thing.