Seniors break the tie and win Fall Spirit Week

Senior+Jessica+Jo+of+Oceanport+competed+for+the+winning+Jenga+team.+

Catherine Escueta

Senior Jessica Jo of Oceanport competed for the winning Jenga team.

Neil Estrada

After an unprecedented 280-280 point tie between the Senior Class and the Freshman Class during spirit week the SGA decided to have a tiebreaker competition after midterms on Oct. 9. The school aired the most recent InkTV and then the competition was underway.

The three events were giant Jenga, an event identical to Tuesday’s Jenga competition but with bigger blocks; the flip-off, which followed the same rules as the competition on Wednesday; and a tiebreaker musical chairs.

Jenga started with the freshman after the coin toss by Principal James Gleason and continued for many rounds. There were quite a few close calls but it was ultimately freshman Class President Emily Madeira of Howell who toppled the tower.

With the seniors in a 1-0 lead, the freshmen successfully won the flip-off and were able to stay in the competition.

The tiebreaker game of musical chairs began. The Seniors quickly knocked out three freshmen, leaving only freshman Desiree Negrin of Manalapan to compete against four seniors. While she did survive one round, she was eventually eliminated and the seniors won spirit week.

“The freshmen and seniors went all out but the seniors deserved the win. It was a lot of fun for both sides and I look forward to more historic spirit weeks,” freshman Brian Schade of Tinton Falls said.