Coffee supplies energy, possible health risks and benefits

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Some students rely heavily on coffee to help them get through the school day.

Some students cannot roll out of bed without it. Others do not depend on it at all. Some studies show that it is unhealthy while others demonstrate that it has health benefits. The ambiguous subject, coffee, has many people in arguments.

CHS students have different coffee-drinking habits.

Sophomore Nicole Molnar of Rumson drinks coffee every day.

“My mom makes some in the morning, so she brews some and I take some,” Molnar said.

Senior Annie Ruoff of Monmouth Beach makes coffee runs before school.

“Sometimes it’s just for myself, but I usually will offer it to my friends as well. I’ll usually get a flavored coffee, latte or hot chocolate,” Ruoff said.

With an average cup of coffee costing $2.70, according to U.S. News, her habit is limited.

“I try not to get it too often because then it will get expensive,” Ruoff said.

Unlike Ruoff, junior Kyle Robinson of Middletown doesn’t drink coffee.

“I really don’t like the taste, and caffeine never gave me a big enough effect for it to be worth it,” Robinson said.

Freshman Bryan Schade of Tinton Falls agrees.

“I never really loved the taste of it and I don’t like having that much caffeine because it’s not really good for you,” Schade said.

CHS students also disagree on the health effects of coffee. Some students say coffee does not have drastic effects on their health.

Senior Jessica Jo of Eatontown drinks coffee once in a while.

“I don’t drink it that much, so I don’t think it affects my health,” Jo said.

Molnar said there are no health effects that she knows of.

Other CHS students said coffee could be harmful for health.

“I know that caffeine is not good for you, and if you get a lack of sleep, that’s obviously going to be bad,” Schade said.

According to Mayo Clinic, all these students are partly correct. While high consumption of unfiltered coffee has been associated with mild increase in cholesterol levels, research indicates that drinking coffee in moderate amounts does not have many negative effects. Studies conducted on coffee consumers have even shown that coffee can bring health benefits, such as lower the risk of Parkinson’s disease, type 2 diabetes and liver disease.

This could be good news for coffee drinkers, but it does not mean that coffee is a healthy drink.

“Although coffee may have fewer risks compared with benefits, keep in mind that other beverages, such as milk and some fruit juices, contain nutrients that coffee does not,” according to Mayo Clinic. It also adds, “some coffee drinks contain more than 500 calories.”