Cookies a tradition for many during the holidays

Photo obtained through Creative Commons.

Madeline Holobinko

From colorful sugar cookies to smiling gingerbread men, holiday cookies are considered a special tradition to many people all over the world. With variations like Italian cartellata cookies, Dutch kerstkransjes, Chinese almond cookies and more, it is hard not to hear about people making these decadents in places all across the map.

With the holidays just around the corner, people are beginning to make these classic treats to get into the holiday spirit. Some find that the distinct colors and scents remind them of just how close the holidays are.

Freshman Jamie Nickerson of Tinton Falls says she can always be found baking at this time of the year.

“The smell of Christmas cookies always makes me excited for the season,” said Nickerson.

Others enjoy baking with families and friends. Freshman Heather Griffin of Wall says that she makes cookies with her mother every year during the holiday season.

“We bake a bunch of different cookies and share them with all of our family and friends,” Griffin said.

Whether they are baking with those closest to them or not, 71 percent of CHS students said that they bake cookies for the holidays in a survey of 248 students from Nov. 29 to Dec. 1.

Of the endless choices of cookies to make, there are a certain few that reign as the best. Some of these include sugar cookies, gingerbread cookies, peanut butter blossoms, thumbprint cookies and Mexican snowdrop cookies, according to Taste of Home magazine. Pignoli cookies are the favorite of New Jersey, according to Reader’s Digest. These treats are made mainly of pine nuts and originate from Sicily.

For junior Felicia Aschettino of West Long Branch, there is one kind of cookie that she loves to have during the Christmas season.

“My favorite Christmas cookies are the Pillsbury Holiday Shape Sugar Cookies because the dough tastes delicious while making them, and the cookies taste just as good after they’re baked,” Aschettino said.

Even if someone is not celebrating Christmas, they can still make cookies that correlate to the holiday they celebrate. For those who celebrate Hanukkah, they can make hamantaschen; people can also make cookies like benne cookies for Kwanzaa.

Senior Sydney Smith makes cookies with her family for Hanukkah.

“Our favorite is rugelach, which are traditional Jewish cookies that look like mini crescent rolls with various fillings and are rolled in cinnamon and sugar,” Smith said.

Sophomore Caroline Monaghan takes part of the baking festivities with friends  this time of year as well.

“Every year I have a cookie party with my friends. They all come over and we make tons of cookies,” Monaghan said. These cookies include chocolate chip, snickerdoodle, oatmeal, sugar, peanut butter blossoms and more.

These are just some of the holiday traditions that come from the different tastes and celebrations people have.