Lorde reveals sophomore album after four-year interlude

In addition to Coachella and Bonnaroo, Lorde will also take the stage at Chicago festival Lollapalooza.

Creative Commons courtesy of Annette Geneva

Madeline Holobinko

Lorde has finally returned after a four-year hiatus.

The singer-songwriter recently confirmed details on her second album, “Melodrama” via Instagram and Twitter early this March. While the release date is still unknown for her sophomore album, the star has taken to Instagram to share its cover art.

The artist’s last single, “Yellow Flicker Beat” was released back in 2014. As for an album, the most current one is still her first, titled “Pure Heroine.” The record dropped in 2013, meaning fans have waited four years for a fresh album and three years for any new music at all.

Luckily for those who have been waiting, the New Zealand native’s new singles “Green Light” and “Liability” are available now. “Greenlight” first appeared on March 3 with “Liability” following a week later. For “Greenlight,” there is an accompanying music video, which the director Grant Singer has described as “timeless” to Pitchfork, an American online magazine. Lorde also revealed that her album will include no featured artists and that she will be appearing this year at music festivals, such as Coachella and Bonnaroo.

But “Greenlight” does have fans and critics alike arguing whether or not it’s similar to her past style. With lyrics like, “Thought you said that you would always be in love, but you’re not in love no more,” the song describes a heartbreak that has yet to be mended. Billboard calls the song “impeccable” and “edgy,” saying that her “inherent darkness is still ever-present.”

Meanwhile, some fans are saying that the music does not sound like Lorde at all. Lately, her supporters have been tweeting that her friendship with Taylor Swift has influenced her music.

Freshman Abigail Tellechea of Monmouth Beach believes that Lorde’s “Greenlight” is not like what she has produced in the past.

“I think the song is not her usual style, but still something I like to listen too,” Tellechea said.

Tellechea also believes that Swift has had an impact on Lorde’s music.

“I could definitely see the similarities between the two celebrities’ music,” said Tellechea.

The singer has admitted in her own tweets that the song is “very different, and kinda unexpected. It’s complex and funny and sad and joyous and it’ll make you DANCE.”

As for the song “Liability,” it has a slower and more dramatic sound. Unlike “Greenlight,” fans are saying that the track sounds a lot like “Welcome to the Black Parade” by My Chemical Romance, as according to NME.

Even with a new sound, there is no stopping Lorde fans from lining up to get their hands on the new single and preparing for the long-awaited album.

About the Writer
Madeline Holobinko, Managing Editor

Maddy is a senior from Monmouth Beach and is so excited to act as the Managing Editor for The Inkblot this year! She has written for the paper since her...