Outgoing EICs say final farewell

EICs Izzy Cavazzoni and Courtney Kushnir look back on their time with The Inkblot.

Julia Pardee and Sarah Lynch

From an eight-page high school newspaper to a Sunday edition of “The New York Times,” every publication starts with the same foundation: a single blot of ink. Something so elementary and insignificant has the power to push boundaries, incite emotion and evoke discussion and contemplation. The name of our beloved newspaper represents this contrast of simplicity and omnipotence to create something of value.

Throughout our tenure as Editors-in-Chief, we have come to deeply appreciate how even the smallest pieces of the puzzle come together to form something bigger than all of us. Every staff member. every story, every lede and every pica plays an integral role in each issue. Reminiscing on this remarkable year and our four years on this esteemed paper, we have become more in tune with each other, Mrs. Mulshine and the CHS community.

From the second we held a 2012 copy of The Inkblot as eighth graders, we knew CHS – specifically, Room 107 – was bound to be our new home.

We both attended our first Inkblot meeting on Sept. 20, 2013. Despite our eagerness and Type A personalities, we were drawn to different sections. While Julia was made for news, Sarah ventured to features, eventually settling in opinion. The two of us spent the next two years exponentially improving our writing and AP style abilities in hopes of claiming editor positions in our respective beats.

As editors, we gained confidence and our passion for the paper only increased. From late nights at layout to the informative and exciting Columbia trip, applying for the Editor-in-Chief position together was a natural progression. When we received the position, we were overjoyed, but also faced with a lot of uncertainty. As best friends, we weren’t sure how working together so intensely would affect our relationship. We didn’t know what our staff would truly be capable of, or what they could bring to the table. We didn’t have a clue about the challenges we would face.

Fortunately, we had a more than competent group of editors, writers, photographers, artists and videographers who never failed to blow us away as well as a managing editor with the most glorious copy edits and a passionate adviser who was our constant champion.

Together, we created six issues that tackled topics from masturbation to underage drinking to the CHS mock election. Each issue presented us with new obstacles, exhilarating breakthroughs, stressful late nights at Starbucks and non-stop laughter. Our work did not halt over the summer as we spend eight hours straight in Barnes & Noble redesigning the entirety of theinkblotnews.com.

Layout week was continuously a potluck. There were tears, and there were screams. There were passive aggressive copy edits. And worst of all, there were lags on InDesign. Yet with our passion, dedication and a dollop of insanity, we hit every deadline. As we furiously opened each delivery box, we felt an unparalleled rush when greeted with the sweet smell of ink and the sight of a beautiful new issue.

Issue 5 was a particularly emotional feat. Seeing the first-ever 16-page, full-color issue in the flesh brought us to tears while the shipment’s hefty price tag, nearly left Mrs. Mulshine weeping.

These are the moments that make the 40 hours a month we spend working tirelessly on this paper worthwhile. Getting to see the look on a freshman’s face when they see their first story in print reminds us of how we felt at the very beginning, and how our work on this paper still makes us feel. Our involvement with The Inkblot has shaped us as leaders, writers and best friends, and we couldn’t imagine our high school experience without it.

To next year’s Editors-in-Chief and all of those to follow: keep pushing the envelope and keep asking why. Trust us, you’ll be thankful you did.

– Sarah Lynch and Julia Pardee,

Outgoing Editors-in-Chief