CHS begins 2017 school year in a familiar fashion

SGA council member and senior Jonathan Slovak of Spring Lake Heights hands out Italian ice to students.

Sarah McNey, Julianne Sackett, and Emma Wilenta

An ice cream truck pulling up to the back patio is a familiar sight to see for CHS students on the first day back. They were not disappointed today as the 2017-2018 school year kicked off in traditional CHS fashion: a back to school assembly featuring some icy treats.

Classes were shortened to accommodate an assembly at the end of the day that featured speakers Mr. Gleason and Student Government Association president, senior Jackie Geller of Manalapan. Both speakers greeted freshmen and Design Academy students and welcomed back sophomores, juniors and seniors.

At the end of the short “welcome back” assembly, students turned to see an ice cream truck park behind CHS. The truck served students red and blue italian ice sponsored by the SGA. The council ordered 320 ices, half cherry flavored and half blue raspberry.

After Geller told the CHS body to look at the back window, an ice cream truck pulled up, prompting students to pour outside to accept their free iced treats, socialize and take pictures with friends.

Freshman Izzy Erskine of Holmdel enjoyed her first day despite some nervousness.

“My first day at CHS was amazing. Everyone was super welcoming and I love the new friends that I made.”

The Class of 2021 were not the only ones being welcomed to CHS for the first time. Six Design Academy students joined the junior class on Wednesday as well.

Design Academy student and junior Amanda Dibenedetto of Ocean said her first day was hectic but memorable.

“Although it was a bit confusing not knowing the majority of the students, I ended up meeting new friends and growing close with people that I didn’t even know before today,” Dibenedetto said.