Bus problems are a necessary evil

Many students use school busses as their mode of transportation to school.

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Jacqueline Geller

Maintenance problems, time management issues and bonding with students are all part of the bus experience at CHS.  

Senior Kyra Lally of Freehold has encountered an abundance of bus obstacles throughout her time at CHS. From waiting as the bus was running late on her first day of freshman year to being on the bus when it broke down in the school’s parking lot, Lally has experienced it all.

Some students share their contact information with others on their bus. Last June, Lally received an unexpected call from junior Kail Ying who had their bus driver talk to Lally.

“She was not coming to pick me up because there wasn’t enough room on the bus for me,” Lally said.

At the time, Lally had just received her license and had no other option but to drive herself to school.

Even with the troubles with her bus, Lally appreciates her bus driver.

“I really like how nice my bus driver is. She always waits for me if I’m running a second late,” Lally said.

Sophomore Axl Checo of Freehold encountered an awkward bus moment when his driver overheard someone voicing their political opinion.

“The driver decided to give his opinion as well and they started arguing while the entire bus was entirely silent,” Checo said.

While there are situations on the buses, one that is most common at CHS is that the bus is running late. Secretary Patricia Hynes says that it is common for buses to be running behind on the first day but they tend to arrive on time once the school year continues.

“Once the school year is in full swing, buses are consistently on time. Once in awhile, they are late if the bus breaks down or if there is a substitute driver,” Hynes said.

The time spent on buses can also form relationships amongst the students. Junior Emma Farkas of Colts Neck was the fourth stop on her bus route for the 2016-17 school year. The bus picked up students in Manalapan, Freehold, Colts Neck and Farmingdale. For the majority of the school year, students would put in their headphones and listen to music or take naps.

Around the time of midterms, holiday breaks and finals, Farkas and her bus mates would convene and talk about what is going on in their lives in and out of school. Farkas says that the friendliness continues in CHS as well.

“A few of us yell ‘bus buddy!’ every time we see each other in the hallway, which is fun,” Farkas said.