CHS is visited by professionals, alumni on Career Day

Deborah+Piperno+is+the+CEO+and+inventor+of+VOOM+Carpool+for+Kids.+

Marissa Ho

Deborah Piperno is the CEO and inventor of VOOM Carpool for Kids.

Lauren Tarigo

SkillsUSA and the National Technical Honor Society (NTHS) welcomed 17 speakers to CHS for its annual Career Day on Dec. 8, providing students with a detailed look inside some of their future professions.

Students began the first part of their day with four shortened class periods and an hour lunch. At 11:30 a.m., SkillsUSA and NTHS allotted time for six sessions to take place, each lasting approximately 20 minutes.

Between the 17 speakers, there were several fields of interest for students to choose from. Some speakers included Playa Bowls cofounders Robert Giuliani and Abby Taylor, science fiction author David Walton and freelance TV reporter Molly Kroon Jennings.

Each member of SkillsUSA was required to contact a speaker or sponsor, said junior and SkillsUSA council member Connor Martin of Spring Lake Heights.

“Using their own connections, they networked with a few professionals in a field that interests them,” Martin said. “We also solicited suggestions from teachers and the guidance department to bring alumni to the event.”

After the sessions, students gathered in the cafeteria to listen to keynote speaker and Class of 2008 alumni Chelsea Whittemore. Whittemore received a Bachelor’s degree of Science in New Media Television from Fairfield University in 2012.

Whittemore currently works as a senior producer at “Kennedy,” a FOX Business Network primetime program. She expressed her gratitude for the experience CHS gave her and discussed her journey in the broadcast television industry.

“No matter what your hopes are for your future, I truly believe your education at CHS can help propel you to do great things,” Whittemore said.

Sophomore Abby Tellechea of Monmouth Beach enjoyed the sessions she attended throughout the afternoon.

“I really enjoyed this year’s Career Day,” Tellechea said. “There were many speakers who held careers I was interested in, which made it interesting and informative.”