Field trips are a staple of CHS clubs

Delia Noone

The Class of 2018 traveled to New York City for their senior year trip.

Izzy Erskine and Erin Brady

For years, students have loaded onto yellow buses to visit art, science and history museums as well as theaters, zoos and historical sites. Field trips are designed to get students out of the classroom and provide them with new learning opportunities outside of the classroom, but some see them as a way to get out of class.

Many clubs and classes at CHS offer field trips for students. Photo Club takes members on two to three trips per year, senior Grace Maloney of Middletown said. Maloney, a member of  Photo Club council, sees field trips as a great way to learn.

The reasoning for the Grounds for Sculpture trip and the Botanical Garden trip is for members to be able to practice using a camera and different photography techniques. GFS and the Botanical Garden are great places for that because there is a lot to photograph,” Maloney said.

Senior Emma Wilenta of Wall is the SkillsUSA president. The council attends a leadership conference and sends around seven club members. At the leadership conference, students listen to a motivational speaker, vote on officers and learn more about the organization. State and regional SkillsUSA competitions occur in the spring. Every club member competes.

“These are the days where we send our members to compete in the competitions that they’ve been preparing for all year,” Wilenta said.

Senior Marie Schobel of Sea Girt believes CHS provides both a mixture of fun and educational field trips. She agrees that field trips are a great way to learn.

“The sound museum [the senior class]went to in NYC was definitely very educational,” Schobel said. “[Mentorship students] are going on a bowling trip next week, which should be super fun.”

Some feel that field trips cause students to fall behind in class. According to CNN, “there may be a lot of work and stress for students to catch up, so it might not be a good option if a student feels unsure about that aspect.”

Sophomore Brian Schade of Tinton Falls loves field trips since they provide a unique learning experience outside the classroom. Although field trips may cause a student to miss work, Schade believes the teachers at CHS do a great job in helping students catch up.

“I have never been on a field trip that got in the way of school work,” said Schade. “They have all been a nice break from the classroom.”

Biology and health teacher Jeanine Gomez says  she assists students who miss class due to field trips.

“I always works with students to avoid them falling behind in my class,” Gomez said.

She believes field trips are opportunities to expand on ideas relating to the classroom and said they are “lifelong memories.”