Juniors have their voices heard at Running and Winning workshop

Courtesy of Sandra Gidos

From left, juniors Sydney Karlin of Matawan, Sarah McNey of Freehold and Jillian Lynch of Interlaken attended this year’s Running and Winning workshop.

Sarah McNey

The League of Women Voters hosted its annual Running and Winning workshop on Thursday, Apr. 19 at Monmouth Regional High School. Three selected junior delegates represented CHS and spoke about issues affecting schools today.

Running and Winning aims to “foster in young women an interest in public life and the confidence to seek leadership positions in organizations, and ultimately in our communities and governing bodies,” according to the workshop’s mission statement. The League of Women Voters, the AAUW Northern Monmouth County Branch, the Junior League of Monmouth County and the Red Bank Chapter of Hadassah co-sponsored this year’s event.

At the start of the event, students interviewed Board of Education members, councilwomen, mayors and other women involved in local government.

For junior Sydney Karlin of Matawan, interviewing Deputy Mayor of Asbury Park Amy Quinn was the highlight of the event.

“She was very open about her personal experiences and how she got to her current position,” Karlin said. “She also had gone to law school, which is something that I am very interested in doing.”

Students then worked in small groups to prepare presentations on the school issue of their choice.

Karlin delivered a speech about mental health.

“I was slightly apprehensive about working with girls from other schools, but my team worked amazingly with each other,” Karlin said. “It was a great way to get out of my comfort zone.”

Guidance counselor Sandra Gidos accompanied the students and said that this year’s workshop was a success.

“It’s one of my favorite events that I look forward to,” Gidos said. “It was a very productive day, and all of the students were very effective in their campaigns.”