Tragedies prompt students to take action on and offline

Marissa Ho

The National School Walkout was one of several ways in which students fought for stricter gun control laws.

Kaitlyn Delaney

In wake of recent nationwide tragedy, many Americans push for reform. In the fight for gun control, young Americans head the movement. “With thoughtful tweets about gun control, a fearlessness for taking on politicians and sharply worded messages to shut down conspiracy theorists, the students… are leading a movement,” NBC reported.

Year after year, following repeated acts of gun violence, support for stricter gun control rises. However, this “shift in public opinion largely fades over time, and Congress doesn’t pass anything,” CNN stated.

However, since the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in February, the persistence in the fight against gun control has yet to fade. Vox attributed this to an increase of gun violence in millenials’ lives.

“It’s possible that being born after the Columbine High School shootings and experiencing mass shootings as a routine event will change how [millenials] think,” the Vox article reported.

Many members of the younger generation have turned to social media to show their support. With trends such as #EnoughIsEnough, #NeverAgain and #MeNext?, the nationwide plea for change is heard worldwide. Those leading the #NeverAgain movement explained on their website, NeverAgain.org, that they have a “dedication to the lessons of the past and commitment to a safer and more just future.”

Beside social media, many teens act across America to spread the same message. On March 14, the one month anniversary of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas shooting, a nationwide walk out occurred at thousands of schools. Any student willing to participate walked out of school at 10:00 a.m. and stayed outside for 17 minutes: one minute for every life lost. Each school had a different approach; some had moments of silence for each victim, while others held peaceful protests.

On March 24, people gathered for the March for Our Lives. The march took place in local towns, big cities and the nation’s capital, Washington D.C. Like the nationwide walk out, the march was a peaceful protest, demanding change. “We will no longer sit and wait for someone else to take action to stop the epidemic of mass shootings,” students at the head of the movement stated.

Senior Samantha LaRochelle of Middletown expressed a strong support of these protests and social movements. “Society can continue to peacefully protest because once things get violent, we get nowhere and we are discredited. This will show the people in power we’re here, we aren’t leaving, we’re loud, and we matter. If they still don’t listen, we vote them out as soon as we can and make sure the next group of legislators will,” said LaRochelle.