Mold found in back hallway, classes relocate

Classes in the back hall were relocated in various parts of the school, including the cafeteria.

Marissa Ho

Marissa Ho

Katherine Lombardi

Students and teachers experienced a temporary relocation due to mold growth in rooms 141, 142, 143 and 144 on Sept. 24 and 25.

Over the weekend, the district cleaned the affected classrooms in accordance with Environmental Protection Agency mold remediation guidelines after students discovered and administration confirmed the presence of mold on surfaces last week. As a precaution, administration decided to suspend use of the contaminated classrooms while they waited for the results of an air sampling test. Other parts of the building also underwent testing to ensure that the areas were safe.

Students and teachers operated on a temporary schedule, with classes moved to new locations including the cafeteria, TV/radio studio and split halves of Room 107.

On Wednesday, principal James Gleason announced via email that the test results had come back with a determination of standard quality air levels and that students could resume learning in their classrooms as normal.

Junior Madison Vigdor of Manalapan takes AP Calculus in Room 142 and said she agrees with administration’s decision to use a temporary schedule.

“In the end the school’s main priority should be our safety,” Vigdor said. “If they have to relocate the classes in order to achieve that, I’m okay with it.”

On Thursday, Gleason sent another email to parents and students to alert of them of the discovery of mold in Room 143, where it had previously been, as well as the guidance conference room area.

“The district will professionally remediate the affected areas over the weekend,” Gleason said in the email. “Upon completion, indoor air quality testing will be performed throughout the entire school.”

About the Contributors
Katherine Lombardi, Assistant News Editor

Katherine Lombardi is a junior from Middletown and has been writing for The Inkblot since her freshman year and is super excited to be this year’s Assistant News Editor. Besides The Inkblot, she is the Communications Director for JSA and serves on the junior class council. In her free time, Katherine enjoys watching Netflix stand-up comedy specials, spending too much money at her local Target, and making jokes that not everyone appreciates. She can be reached at [email protected].

Marissa Ho, Photo Editor

Marissa Ho is a senior from Freehold and has been involved with the Inkblot since freshman year and the photo section since sophomore year. This is her first year on the Edit Board and is relieved to have an assistant. She is also the senior class president, the vice president of the Photo/Yearbook Club, and a member of the National Art Honors Society and the LitMag. When she’s not stressing about school or her clubs, Ho can be found listening to music while baking or reading. She can reached at [email protected].