Class of 2020 hosts annual Coffeehouse

Marissa Ho

Senior Sydney Karlin of Matawan has played piano at Coffeehouse every year since she was a freshman.

Michael Rau

The Class of 2020 hosted the annual Coffeehouse event on Friday, Nov. 3, featuring 35 acts and more than 40 student performers who danced, sang, played musical instruments and read poetry.

Juniors Ryan Swanson of Brielle and Colin Martin of Middletown hosted the show to add a comedic element.

Martin, who is vice president of the junior class, said that both organizing and performing in the event gave him a unique perspective.

“I saw it all come together from a class council perspective, but also, because I was hosting, I was able to perform and be a big part of the show.”

Senior Kevin Clark of Spring Lake, who sang and played “Let it Be” by the Beatles, said his third and final Coffeehouse performance was bittersweet.

“It was a good last one, but it’s also incredibly sad that it’s my last Coffeehouse,” Clark said.

Freshman Ella Lukowiak of Wall sang an original song about friendship titled “Speak Out” while accompanying herself on the ukulele.

“It was really fun and I enjoyed it a lot,” Lukowiak said.

Martin said he thought that Coffeehouse was a success.

“Overall, I think it was great,” Martin said. “The sound was perfect, the decorations were great and everything was awesome.”