PSFA helps students, clubs succeed

Courtesy of Dane Tedder

JSA club members attend Fall State 2017 with the help of PSFA funding.

Madison Beekman

Last year, Junior States of America (JSA) struggled to keep convention opportunities open to all members due to budget cuts. This year, hoping to get back on its feet, junior and JSA council member Dane Tedder of Ocean attended a Parent Student Faculty Association (PSFA) meeting and received a full grant for the club’s Fall State trip and scholarship aid.

The primary goal of the PSFA is funding school programs, according to vice president Sharon Jemas.

Our goal is to raise monetary funds to supplement the students learning inside and outside the classroom setting,” Jemas said.

A group of parents from CHS’s first graduating class founded the association in 2000, said principal James Gleason. The group and the faculty decided that the PSFA was a necessity.

Many parents, including membership committee chairperson Lori Littenberg, join the PSFA as a way to meet fellow parents.

“I felt it was a good way to get involved, learn more about the school, and meet other parents,” Littenberg said. “CHS pulls students from all over the county and I knew I didn’t know any families currently enrolled.”

As students prepare to graduate, their parents must also prepare to leave. The transfer of power for committee heads and the executive board is similar to that of class council or club elections, said co-president Michelle Rosenberg.

“Previous officers have kept really thorough records that they passed on to the new officers,” Rosenberg said. “Elections are held in the spring so the newly elected officers are ready to take the reins once the school year ends.”

Treasurer Michelle Beekman of Neptune said that the PSFA holds fundraisers throughout the year to support the school projects they fund, including Color Wars and bagel breakfasts during exams. Any extra money at the end of the year is split between a few different items.

“We bought picnic tables, microwaves and new foosball tables,” Beekman said. “We also have a scholarship opportunity for any students whose parent(s) have been in the PSFA all four years.”

The PSFA helps students and clubs as much as possible, something Tedder and other club officers are thankful for.

I really cannot thank the PSFA enough,” Tedder said. “I am extremely grateful for all the amazing things that they have been able to do for our club and others like it, and I hope they are able to continue to give clubs the assistance they may need for as long as possible.”