Battle of the Bands rocks CHS for the fourth time

Junior Ryan Swanson of Brielle, left, and senior Kevin Clark of Spring Lake, center, won the 2019 Battle of the Bands with their band

Junior Ryan Swanson of Brielle, left, and senior Kevin Clark of Spring Lake, center, won the 2019 Battle of the Bands with their band "The Boys."

Alyssa Rasp

Alyssa Rasp

Alyssa Rasp

Abby Tellechea

The Class of 2019 and 2020 held the fourth annual Battle of the Bands on Friday, March 15. The event showcased performances from seven bands, with at least one CHS student in each band. The Boys, comprised of CHS students senior Kevin Clark of Spring Lake and junior Ryan Swanson of Brielle won the overall event. Melophobia, with juniors Nikki Yan Beeber of Marlboro, Sam Decuices of Howell and Riley Brennan of Manasquan won people’s choice.

Students sold tickets during lunch throughout the week with over 170 tickets sold at $7 each. Jersey Mike’s, Otto’s Bar and Grill and Cluck U donated food that was on sale during and after the show to raise money for both classes.

After listening to the performances from all seven bands, the audience and judges voted for their favorites. People’s choice received a $50 gift card to Jack’s Music Shoppe in Red Bank. The judge’s pick won a two-hour rehearsal block at The Jam Room Music Complex in Howell.

Senior Erica Sammarco of Wall was the head of the battle of the bands this year and stated, “Every committee worked incredibly hard and it all came together on the night. Overall, it ran really smoothly. Every year it gets bigger and better and I can’t wait to see what Michael and Faith do with it next year.”

Junior Jill Tracy of Belmar headed the decorations committee and said that the hard work and dedication put into the event paid off in the end.

“I had an incredibly positive experience, and I am satisfied that the hard work from my committee paid off,” Tracy said.

Junior Ryan Swanson of Brielle played in two separate bands this year and has participated in the past two years of the event. He said the audience’s reaction contributed to the event’s success.

“The event was a huge success. All of the bands sounded great, and the audience was super into every single band. That’s all I can ask for as a performer,” Swanson said.