Freshmen take the cake on Spring Spirit Week day one

Leigh Lustig

Juniors Vaughn Battista of Tinton Falls, left, and Colin Martin of Middletown sit in a kiddie pool for their class’s Cupcake Wars display. The juniors placed 2nd in the event.

Madison Beekman

The annual Spring Spirit Week started for CHS students on Monday, April 15 with the theme of “Dress Up or Dress Down.” Students could wear pajamas, formal attire, or a little bit of both. The theme for the lunchtime event, Cupcake Wars, was “Spring Break.”

At the end of the day, the freshmen were in first with 73 points, the seniors and juniors were tied for second with 60 points, and the sophomores were in last with 55 points.

Junior Zach Weisenstein of Marlboro liked the theme for the day, as opposed to previous pajama days.

“I really like the dress up/dress down day,” Weisenstein said. “I thought it was more creative and seemed to have more options than pajama day.”

The class of 2022 was very happy with their results on day one, according to freshman Michele Roman of Neptune, and they hope to continue this success throughout the rest of the week.

Senior Grace Treshock of Monmouth Beach is sad about this being her last Spirit Week but is ready for her class to come together one last time.

“I honestly don’t think it’ll really hit us all until Wednesday or Thursday, especially with Lip Sync,” Treshock said. “All the seniors are pretty burnt out, but hopefully we can band together to give this Spirit Week one last effort and get a win.”