Upperclassmen ‘shore’-ly have a good time at prom

Junior Vaughn Battista of Tinton Falls dances in the center of a student-formed circle during the prom.

Nicole Sestito

On Friday, May 10, the Class of 2019 hosted the annual junior and senior prom at the Spring Lake Bath & Tennis Club. This year’s prom had a beach theme, which complemented the venue’s location right across from  the Spring Lake beaches. This was the first time CHS hosted the prom at this venue. There were 204 attendees overall, including juniors and seniors, along with dates from other schools and the sophomore class.

Senior council member Rebecca Rippon of Ocean said the preparation for the event was relaxed and fun because the entire council worked together.

“We started by picking our venue early last winter, but in these past few months we’ve been working on things like the theme, the invites, and the decorations,” Rippon said.

Junior Mary Eknoian of Wall attended her first prom at CHS and said that although she had a good time, it was not worth the price she spent.

“I haven’t added it all together but I’m pretty sure I spent close to 1,000 dollars, which is so not worth it for a high school dance,” Eknoian said. “I did have a great time.”

The food at the prom was a three course meal, which included a round of appetizers including bites of mac-and-cheese and bacon wrapped scallops. At the main course, a steak carving station was provided, as well as sides such as mashed potatoes and penne vodka. For dessert, chocolate-covered strawberries and mini ice cream cones were served.

At the end of the night, seniors Liam Marshall of Sea Girt and Marissa Ho of Marlboro were crowned Prom King and Prom Queen, respectively, along with the six other members of the court.

Ho said that she enjoyed her last prom at CHS.

“I’m really happy with how it turned out,” Ho said. “Everyone looked beautiful and the venue looked amazing.”

Ho said that while she was not anticipating being crowned Prom Queen, she is thankful for the win.

“It was really unexpected. I’m really grateful for everyone who voted for me,” Ho said.

Similar to Ho, Marshall said that he was honored to be elected King.

“It was awesome to be elected Prom King,” Marshall said. “I’m really thankful for all my friends that voted for me.”