Lack of political inclusivity at CHS furthers the divide

Creative commons photo courtesy of DonkeyHotey

An Inkblot survey of 91 CHS students from May 21 to May 31 found that 57.6 percent identified somewhat or very liberal while only 23.9 percent considered themselves conservatives in any way. https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

William Dean

Communications High School has a problem. It isn’t inclusive enough. It does its best to be inclusive to the LGBT community, women and ethnic minorities, but fails to reciprocate inclusiveness for another minority: conservatives. 

An Inkblot survey of 91 CHS students from May 21 to May 31 found that 57.6 percent identified somewhat or very liberal  while only 23.9 percent considered themselves conservatives in any way. 

In addition to this, 88 percent of students believe that the political atmosphere in Communications is liberal while zero students considered it to be conservative. CHS is not alone, as Harvard University found that a majority of young Americans support left-leaning policies. 

66 percent support a Democrat-controlled Congress, democratic socialism outpolls capitalism 53 percent to 48 percent and government-run healthcare is favored by 67 percent of young voters. The aforementioned Inkblot survey found that 22.8 percent of Communications students believe the school should ban people with a history of “hate speech” from speaking. To reiterate: nearly one quarter of CHS students believe in government-enforced speech suppression.

In addition, the survey revealed that 31.5 percent of respondents think CHS is hostile toward minority opinions. 

This increasing hostility on the left and the excommunication of the right can lead to only one place: an increase in violence on both sides. 

French Liberal economist Frederic Bastiat made the observation that “when goods don’t cross borders, soldiers will.” 

Rational, peaceful conversations must continue between political opponents, or history shows us that fists will begin to settle disputes. 

While violence may not occur at CHS, it is in danger of silencing the voice of our school’s conservative minority. Respectful debate should be encouraged here at Communications so the adults it produces do not further the political divide.