Art helps children with special needs to express themselves

Creative commons photo courtesy of MireXa

A study conducted by assistant professor Karen DeMoss of the University of New Mexico found that integrating art in the education of students of all achievement levels creates a more independent desire to learn, as well as improves memorization and problem-solving skills. https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

When it comes to the development of children, art plays a significant role, especially for children with special needs. 

A study conducted by assistant professor Karen DeMoss of the University of New Mexico found that integrating art in the education of students of all achievement levels creates a more independent desire to learn, as well as improves memorization and problem-solving skills.

In addition, a study conducted by Americans for Arts reported that creative expression can strengthen critical thinking, goal-setting and other significant social skills. 

In an article written by Rosa Clemens-Hines, an art teacher for children with special needs, Hines expressed how some children with special needs experience deficiencies that make it more difficult for them to communicate effectively, causing great frustration. Art provides children with an outlet to express themselves while developing imperative social and educational skills, which in turn can build their self-confidence. 

Biology and health teacher Leah Morgan said that her daughter, who has Asperger’s Syndrome, prefers art as a way to express herself.  

“She is very smart and highly capable but prefers art projects because it allows her to express herself better than having to speak in front of a group or write an extended paper. Art allows her to convey her opinions and knowledge,” Morgan said. 

Art has always been used as a form of communication and expression. But, only recently have scientists and psychologists begun to conduct extensive research that reveals the multitude of benefits of art for children with special needs.