Physics teacher Steve Godkin wins Teacher of the Year award

Each year, one CHS teacher is selected to be named the Teacher of the Year, based off a series of letters from parents and students that are sent to Principal James Gleason and then reviewed by an MCVSD committee for review. For the 2019-2020 school year, CHS granted Godkin the achievement.

Photo courtesy of The Inkblot News

Olivia Conkling and Vivianna Varlack

Each year, one CHS teacher is selected to be named the Teacher of the Year, based off a series of letters from parents and students that are sent to Principal James Gleason and then reviewed by an MCVSD committee for review. For the 2019-2020 school year, CHS granted physics teacher Steve Godkin the achievement. 

Godkin shared his feelings on the honor of winning this title and what teaching methods he prides himself on. 

“It does make you feel good when you get it. I can’t lie. It’s the first time I ever got it,” Godkin said. “We try to learn new techniques, a variety of different things I would say but the standard is this: I got to make sure they know the concepts…and then at the end, they have to put the math together with it. Anything that helps them with that I’m game for.”

Senior RJ Franzen of Allentown spoke about why he believes Godkin deserved to win. 

“Even though physics is the hardest class by far, he simplifies the class in the context that everybody can understand and he’s very passionate about teaching the subject,” Franzen said.

Sophomore Isabel Lindsay of Aberdeen also explained what makes Godkin stand out as a teacher.

“He’s very patient and he’s always willing to help someone no matter how lost they are, he’ll always repeat the lesson as many times as he can in order for them to understand…He’s very funny and easygoing and he’s very passionate,” Lindsay said.

“He understands the difficulties of physics and you know he’s been teaching for a while now and so he has a lot of experience and understands how to make something make sense,” junior Abi Cohen of Marlboro said, agreeing with Lindsay and Franzen. 

Godkin will be attending the MCVSD Teacher of the Year luncheon in May.