Coronavirus Update: No school, in-person or online, for students on Friday

Katherine Lombardi

As the Coronavirus becomes a growing concern across Monmouth County and the MCVSD, the Inkblot will provide ongoing web coverage, following our original print story published on Mar. 9, in order to keep students and parents updated. This is the third installment in our series

The Monmouth County Vocational School District announced this evening that all career academics, including CHS, will have a 5-hour professional day for staff on Friday, Mar. 13. Students will not report to school, a change from the original proposal of an early closing. The district is expecting for classes to resume as normal on Monday, Mar. 16. 

Students will not be expected to use Google Classroom for online-based learning as part of the CHS Education Continuity Plan, according to Principal James Gleason. The purpose of the staff day is for teachers to further acclimate themselves with the ECP procedures, in the case of a future closure.

This closing does not come as a mandate from the health department, and therefore CHS can not qualify for schooltime credit via online learning. Therefore, this cancellation will likely result in the removal of a later holiday or an addition of days in June. 

According to the CHS calendar, the typical protocol would be for staff and students to report to school on the Friday before Memorial Day Weekend, which is currently reserved as a holiday. Since the Coronavirus is a unique scenario unlike usual snow day cancellations, the Inkblot will update readers when a confirmed make-up date is released.

Extracurricularly, the annual National Art Honors Society Art Show and induction is postponed. The Quill & Scroll Journalism Honor Society induction, which was planned for the same night, is also postponed. 

The Junior State of America (JSA) will no longer be attending their Spring State convention. Administration first denied trip approval early this week due to safety concerns, before the national JSA organization then canceled all spring conventions across the country today.

The Inkblot welcomes any submissions of information regarding the Coronavirus in respect to CHS cancellations, postponements and other changes, especially from student leaders, faculty and parents. Please email Katherine Lombardi at [email protected] to submit any tips.