Should all students pass for the 2019-2020 school year?

Online learning has had a negative effect on all students. According to NPR, a recent survey
suggests that low-income families are 10 times more likely to admit their children are doing little
remote learning.

PHOTO BY SCOTT GRAHAM OBTAINED THROUGH UNSPLASH

Online learning has had a negative effect on all students. According to NPR, a recent survey suggests that low-income families are 10 times more likely to admit their children are doing little remote learning.

Tess Rempel

As schools adjust to virtual learning, its districts are beginning to address complex questions. How can students be fairly graded, when many are struggling as a result of the pandemic? 

Maintaining the grading system that was in place before schools were shut down has the potential to exacerbate the struggles of students who are suffering educationally, financially, and emotionally. According to the Washington Post, students should be judged by what is learned, not how well they adjust to a pandemic. Some students do not have the resources to even attempt such an adjustment, as according to EdSource, “disproportionate numbers of low-income, Latino and African American families lack the technology needed for remote learning”.

Some schools have considered giving all students A’s, while others have switched to a pass/fail system. This system seems to be one that manages to motivate students to do their work, and not threaten their academic careers. However, it may be pointless to incentivize students within such a system to do their work. The pass/fail system may not allow for proper assessment and enable a sense of stagnancy amongst students and teachers alike, causing both parties to learn and be satisfied with less.

Teachers should be expected to consider students’ circumstances while grading and adjust the curriculum to virtual learning. School districts should go the necessary lengths to ensure that all students are equipped with the educational resources they need, and counselors should regularly reach out to students to ensure that they are on track and well. Although this pandemic is a time to prioritize students’ needs, such as food, device employment, and their overall well-being, it is not an excuse to undermine our education system further, as well as devalue the efforts of those who have managed to adapt and overcome unfortunate circumstances.