Class council elections pushed until next year

BLOT PHOTO BY LUKE SASSA

Rising Sophomore Lucy Battista of TInton Falls is present Freshman Class President.

Zaina Saif

Every spring, CHS students prepare for elections by hanging up posters, handing out treats, and creating the perfect slogan for their campaign. Due to the closure of schools for the remainder of the year, these classic sights and traditions have been postponed until Sept. 11, 2020.

The decision to hold off on the elections was made collectively by the class advisers.

Sharyn O’Keefe, history teacher and Class of 2023 adviser, explained that council members had to choose between pushing the election or holding a virtual election, similar to what many other clubs conducted. 

“We discussed it at length and agreed that students have enough on their plates right now,” said fitness teacher and junior class adviser Ginny Clevenger. “We hope to have elections in school very early in September, but, as with everything, we have to wait and see how things stand for re-opening.”

Many students planning to run for council next year are in favor of the postponement.

Freshman class president Lucy Battista of Tinton Falls believes it would be far more beneficial to have in-person campaigns in the fall. 

“Candidates get to connect with their class on a better level than delivering a speech through the screen and writing emails,” Battista said. “You connect with your class when you’re able to put up posters and hand things out.”

Class of 2021 council members Luke Sassa of Matawan and Mahita Dasu of Marlboro agree as well. 

“Elections aren’t the biggest of our problems right now and it would be so much less stressful and easier to organize if we had them next year,” Dasu said. 

The fall elections may also promise more engagement from the student body compared to a virtual campaign, where it is difficult to ensure that everyone even votes.

“If it’s an in-person election, people are more likely to be involved and there will be a fairer outcome,” Sassa said.  

However, due to the election being so close to the beginning of the school year, there is a possibility that certain school events will be affected. The annual Back to School Dance is organized by the senior class, but doubts are arising if the function will be able to take place next year. 

“There’s a chance the seniors will be disrupted by the September elections because the Back to School Dance falls in the first week of school,” O’Keefe said. “But I don’t think that’s even going to be allowed.” 

Since the majority of CHS events take place later in the school year and the election will be held earlier in the fall, it’s not going to be a very pressing issue for most of the councils.

Most candidates agree that the election is the least of their concerns in times of crisis.

“Right now, we need stability in the craziness that is 2020, and holding off on the elections is a great way to ensure that,” said sophomore class president Sam Skolnick of Hazlet.