Underclassmen discuss missed PSAT opportunity

UNSPLASH PHOTO COURTESY OF ANTOINE DAUTRY

Due to COIVD-19 restrictions, underclassmen were unable to take the PSATs, leaving many with mixed feelings. https://unsplash.com/license

Andrew Seckular

Coming on the heels of several other big announcements, CHS Principal James Gleason announced that the PSATs would be administered exclusively to the junior class this year. This announcement brought about a major change, as freshmen and sophomores typically take the test alongside upperclassmen. For some underclassmen, the cancellation of their PSATs was yet another setback, while others saw it as a major relief.

The PSATs took place on Jan. 26, right in the middle of finals week. For underclassmen, this could have caused too much stress and could have come as a big shock.

“I’m not very upset about [not] taking the PSAT this year because I have a lot of schoolwork,” said freshman Luke Bigley of Wall.

To some, the changes paved the way for a wave of disappointment and dismay.

“I have not taken [the PSAT’s] before but I would have liked to,” said freshman William Denzler of Middletown. “It seems like a good method to ensure that everyone is a little more prepared to take [the SAT’s].”

On the other hand, the changes allowed some to relax a little bit more.

“I honestly feel relieved that I don’t have to take the PSATs this year,” said freshman Molly Arcara of Red Bank. “I’m definitely less stressed than I might be if I was taking them, though. I have not taken a PSAT before, and frankly, I don’t wish I had taken them this year… because I do feel I would be unprepared at the moment.”

Freshman Molly Deming of Red Bank agreed, and said that she is relieved in not having to take the PSATs, but admits she has contrasting opinions. She anticipates that standardized testing will come to an end, and now is a good time to do so.

“I am so glad I don’t have to take the PSATs because standardized testing is not an accurate measure of intelligence by any means,” Deming said. “I think the system could be improved and actually measure academic intelligence.”