CHS Fashion Show sees students return to the runway

BLOT PHOTO BY DREW LEPPING

Senior Gina Dige of Howell walks down the runway at the CHS “Reign” Fashion Show.

Jordan Juliano and Andrew Seckular

CHS students strutted down the Fashion Show runway for the first time in three years, proving that fashion still “reigns.”

Friday, March 18 marked the long-anticipated return of a beloved CHS tradition: the Fashion Show. The event filled the cafeteria, which was transformed to include a long catwalk-like runway and decorations themed to the royal aesthetic of the night. The show also fundraised for the sophomore and senior classes.

The event, spearheaded by seniors Elle Kumpf of Sea Girt and Mackenzie Carey of Little Silver, was the first Fashion Show since 2019. In the absence of the event’s past advisor, biology teacher Leah Morgan, English teacher Emily Soto and Spanish teacher Karen Britto stepped up to help run the event.

The last CHS Fashion Show to see the stage took place in the spring of 2019. For Kumpf, Carey and the rest of the senior class, this meant they only had one Fashion Show experience to base their reincarnation of the event on.

“It was kind of hard because we never got the experience of being an assistant to the last show,” Kumpf said. “But working with everyone made it a lot easier.”

The event was also the first of the year in which restrictions were not imposed upon the number of outside guests in attendance.

“Everyone had a blast,” Britto said. “The students, the parents and everyone seemed to have a really fun time.”

This year’s Fashion Show featured 64 models who wore outfits from various boutiques ranging all over Monmouth County, including Lola’s in Manalapan, The Bee in Sea Girt and Oh Honey in Shrewsbury.

Sophomore Kara Gallagher of Middletown modeled in the event and felt that her Fashion Show experience was exciting and allowed her to branch out with her style.

“I got to pick something that’s different and unique from what I wear to school, so it was fun to wear,” Gallagher said.

Not only was the event exciting and engaging to student models and participants, but it increased the hope many have for the remaining events of the school year returning to normality.

Junior Skyler Glusman of Middletown, who modeled in the show and also worked as head of the hair and makeup department, felt the event was successful in reigniting the spirit of the CHS community.

“My friends and I cheered for everyone else walking on the runway, and then people did the same for us,” Glusman said. “It was really nice, especially since everyone deserves to be cheered for.”