“That girl” isn’t all that: When trends take a turn

UNSPLASH PHOTO COURTESY OF Dima Solomin

Lifestyle trends seen on social media platforms promote healthy lifestyles, but some find these aesthetics to be unrealistic. https://unsplash.com/license

Adina Saks and Cindy Lin

‘That girl’ wakes up at 5 a.m., studies hard, drinks green juices, fills gratitude journals and in short, has her life together.

The lifestyle trend, which gained notoriety through various social media platforms, including TikTok and Pinterest, is all about becoming the best version of oneself by leading a productive and healthy lifestyle within an organized environment.

Through video mortgages and images, the trend features a fulfilling lifestyle centered around aesthetics, but some are split on the message being promoted.

According to Rafihat Banjo, a columnist from The Towerlight, a student-run newspaper by Towson University, “The ‘That girl’ trend romanticizes girls needing to have their lives together. When that might not always be the case. It’s quite impossible to always have your life together.”

Sophomore Lydia Olivieri of Colts Neck agrees with the sentiment, saying, “I think the lifestyle itself is something that a lot of people can aspire to, but it’s important to realize that the lifestyle is fake and that everyone who promotes it is promoting a fake way of living.”

This trend also emphasizes ‘clean eating,’ which refers to the fad diet of eating whole and raw foods that are not refined or processed. Despite its claims to being a healthy practice, ‘clean eating’ and similar dieting trends have been shown to correlate with body image and disordered eating.

A 2017 study conducted by the Division of Medicine in London showed that Instagram users who followed accounts promoting healthy eating were 49% more likely to have symptoms of an eating disorder.

The ‘that girl’ lifestyle promotes idealistic practices to improve one’s life, but others perceive it as a trend that has an unrealistic way of life.

“I think that it’s a trend that is bringing teens in the right direction, which is with the focus on self-care and success,” Olivieri said. “But I think that there’s a lot of unattainable standards that can discourage people rather than inspire aesthem.”