Freshman involved in school bomb threat no longer attending CHS

A+Freshman+who+was+involved+with+CHS+bomb+threat+is+now+permanently+no+longer+attending+CHS.+%0A%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Funsplash.com%2Flicense+

UNSPLASH PHOTO COURTESY OF Ivan Aleksic

A Freshman who was involved with CHS bomb threat is now permanently no longer attending CHS. https://unsplash.com/license

Stella Feinstein

The student responsible for the reported bomb threat at Communications High School is no longer listed on school attendance sheets and has not been seen in school since the expiration of their 10-day suspension.

However, The Inkblot has not confirmed whether the student was expelled or left the school voluntarily. Principal James Gleason confirmed that the student is no longer enrolled but declined to elaborate further.

The Inkblot has discovered that the student has been removed from the PowerSchool database and their CHS email has been deactivated.

“It’s like all of a sudden one day [the student] was just just erased from existence,” teacher Bill Clark, who had the student in one of his classes, said.

However, sentiment from students is overwhelmingly neutral as the lack of information divides the event and student’s response.

“I don’t think it was very scary, considering they didn’t really share any information with us,” junior Charlie Brekke of Atlantic Highlands said. “It wasn’t a big enough impact that we wanted to go find out on our own.”

Freshman Dylan Glusman of Middletown agrees with Brekke.

“I don’t really think it affects me at all because I feel like it was probably just something [the student] put on their story on Snapchat and it was blown way out of proportion,” Glusman said. “I don’t think it scares me or anyone else.”

In the history of CHS, violent threats to the student body have been few and far between, leaving the administration with little to no experience in any number of dangerous scenarios. The administration’s response, and lack thereof, concerned some students and faculty in the immediate aftermath of the incident, leaving them to worry about their safety during a “real” hazard.

“It makes us think twice about our nice, comfortable home,” school nurse Dorothy Condon said.

Junior Justin Longo of Middletown shared his hopes on how acts of violence should be taken care of in the future.

“I hope that going forward, more emphasis will be placed on communication and protective measures for the students,” Longo said.

Although some students believe that the administration handled this situation to the best of their ability, students such as freshman Stacy Lin of Manalapan, feel like not enough detailed information was provided to alleviate student concerns.

“I wish we had more information about this situation and more clarity regarding the matter,” Lin said. “This situation caused a lot of confusion for both students and parents.”

Though the event clearly concerned some students more than others, sophomore Kylie Budiogan of Marlboro is reminded of the type of school CHS is.

“It didn’t feel real. We needed time for it to set in,” Budiogan said. “It’s a very welcoming, accepting, and kind community, and I don’t see this happening again.” “It didn’t feel real. We needed time for it to set in,” Budiogan said. “It’s a very welcoming, accepting and kind community, and I don’t see this happening again.”