CHS “makes strides” at Point Pleasant breast cancer walk

Juniors Kara Gallagher [left] and Kaitlin Brice hang ribbons during the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk on Sunday, Oct. 16.

BLOT PHOTO BY EMMA MAKIN

Cameron Mock

CHS students and faculty joined communities across New Jersey in supporting the fight against breast cancer on Sunday, Oct. 16 at the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk in Point Pleasant Beach.

Over 40 students and teachers formed the CHS “team” to represent the school on the 3.1 mile walk.

This event is even run nationwide by the American Cancer Society to raise money to support research efforts in the battle against breast cancer.

NHS advisor Sharyn O’Keefe said that CHS has been participating in the walk for 15 years.

Before the day of the event, the National Honor Society encouraged students to sign up to walk and sponsored a school-wide pink-out on Oct. 14 where students dressed in pink to show support.

In order to raise money, the NHS even created breast cancer awareness merchandise that students could buy to support the cause. These proceeds, along with other donations, got the CHS team to $6,263 – far past their fundraising goal of $5,000.

Junior Emma Makin of Marlboro raised $870, the most raised by any CHS student.

“My cousin, who I was very close with, had breast cancer and was very fortunate to beat it, so ever since I was little my family and I have participated in the event,” Makin said.

Sophomore Phineaus Whedon of Wall also has a personal connection to the event.

“My aunt actually had breast cancer, but she sadly passed away a few years ago, so this cause is pretty important to me,” Whedon said.

As far as the CHS team’s success, O’Keefe said, “I’m just really thankful for everyone who showed up to support this cause on such a gorgeous day.”