CHS reflects on Drama Club production of Harvey

Hannah Cohen

An invisible rabbit, psychiatrists in need of their own therapy, and an immense amount of family drama swept the stage of Communications High School during the Drama Club’s production of Harvey on Dec. 2 and Dec. 3. Harvey, by Mary Chase, tells the story of socially awkward yet charming Elwood P. Dowd whose best friend is an imaginary, six-foot-tall rabbit. Featuring slang and jokes from the 1940s, the show was a hit among not only young students but also the older crowd. 

Harvey, directed by senior Lucy Battista of Tinton Falls and produced by senior Delia Mullen of Wall Township, featured 11 talented performers, all portraying characters with wild personalities. With such a small cast, the emphasis on acting and line delivery was the main focus during rehearsals. Harvey features an intricate plot not well known by most audiences. Therefore, working with the actors to perfect their roles and make the characters their own seemed daunting at first. As the rehearsals progressed, however, Battista and Mullen were confident in their cast’s abilities. 

Battista would describe the cast as “a group of individuals, all at different points in the timeline of their theater experience, who put everything they had into the show.” She “couldn’t be more proud of what they accomplished.”

Not only was the director delighted by the cast’s performance, CHS students were also astounded by the show. Despite not knowing what to expect going into it, students enjoyed being taken on a whirlwind of a journey as the play progressed. “I would describe the show as wholesome chaos,” junior Lillian Fischer of Rumson said. “While there were so many scenes where characters were at a loss as to what to do, they were still wholesome to watch.”

The production, although chaotic and comedic, portrays a heartwarming message. Sophomore Christie DeNicola of Tinton Falls played Veta Louise, the emotional and frantic sister of the eccentric Elwood P. Dowd. 

“My favorite scene was the very last one because my character was able to realize that Elwood was perfect the way he was,” DeNicola said. “I absolutely loved being able to share that message with the audience.” 

Spending hours a week together rehearsing after school for several months allowed not only the cast to craft their characters, but also form meaningful relationships with one another. 

“My favorite aspect of the show was all of the cast bonding,” Battista said. “Whether this was shoving four people in my car to get food before rehearsal, creating inside jokes, or quoting the script at the worst times, the relationships we built as a group is something I will always be grateful for.”