CHS Beast Kaitlin Brice becomes a Georgetown Hoya

Junior Kaitlin Brice will play Division I field hockey for George-town University beginning in the Fall of 2024.

BLOT PHOTO COURTESY OF KAITLIN BRICE

Dara Fisher and Emma Makin

Field hockey player and CHS junior Kaitlin Brice of Wall Township committed to Georgetown University for field hockey on Dec. 28, 2022.

Brice describes how her dream of committing to a Division I university with outstanding academics and a powerhouse field hockey team became a reality.

“I knew I wanted to play Division I field hockey ever since freshman year,” Brice said. “Once I got this dream, I trained my skills, conditioning and strength every day and never lost sight of it.”

CHS does not offer sports to students, which adds a level of difficulty in practicing the sport. Nevertheless, Brice’s hard work, dedication and love for field hockey have allowed her to achieve a spot on Wall Township’s varsity field hockey team since freshman year.

“After my freshman high school season on varsity, I trained every day in the offseason, working on the skills that I knew had to be better to play at a higher level,” Brice said.

As a junior, Brice became a top athlete not only on her team with an all-senior lineup, but also in the state, as Wall Township continues to win year after year in the Shore Conference.

Brice has also been nominated for Shore Conference Player of the Year, Top 100 Sophomores in N.J. field hockey and Top 100 Juniors in N.J. field hockey, as seen on NJ.com.

Wall Township’s field hockey team ended the 2022-20223 season with a 13-4 record. As a forward and a midfielder, Brice scored four goals and had 13 assists, contributing to the success of her team.

Hanna Zarrilli, Wall Township field hockey coach, describes Brice as a force on the field and a dangerous opponent.

“Kaitlin’s patience and stubbornness to not lose a battle on the field makes her a key player on our team,” Zarrilli said.

Zarrilli also notes how Brice stepped up in her junior year, using her voice on and off the field to be a leader on the
team. Zarrilli continued, “She leads by example and always makes sure everyone is on the same page and giving their all in practice and games.”

In addition to the high school team, Brice is a member of the WC Eagles Field Hockey Club, located in Pennsylvania, where coaches train players to play on the collegiate and international levels.

“In the winter of my sophomore year, I pushed myself to try out for WC Eagles because I knew that their training was the best in the country,” Brice said.

However, she explains that this experience didn’t come easily.

“I had a high school game on the morning of my tryout, and I broke my ankle in the third quarter,” Brice said. “I couldn’t turn down this tryout no matter what, so I quickly turned all of my nerves into motivation because I knew this one opportunity could completely change my field hockey career.”

Giana Fleming, of Perkiomen, Pa., plays on Brice’s club team and said her knowledge of the game — and of people — make her the ideal teammate.

“Kaitlin has some of the best individual skills I have ever seen and she knows where to place the ball and when to do so,” Fleming said. “I’m blessed to have been able to play with Kaitlin. She has given me the best friendship a teammate could ever ask for.”

Making a college commitment in the winter of her junior year, Brice is thrilled to be able to play for one of the top universities in the country and know exactly where she will be going at the end of her senior year.

“I can’t believe that I finally get to live out my dream, and I won’t have to continue stressing about the search for colleges,” Brice said.

The recruitment process is something that challenges an athlete both physically and mentally, especially at the Division I level, to show their best attributes on the field and in the classroom. Brice exemplifies the toll recruitment can take on an athlete.

“My summer going into junior year was almost entirely spent at college clinics,” Brice said. “I would also see D1 coaches lining the sidelines at tournaments, but I didn’t let that go to my head. I just knew I had to play my own game and execute when I had the ball,” Brice said.

Her coaches, teammates and friends are extremely proud of what Brice has accomplished and what she is going to achieve in the future.

“I am super proud and excited for Kaitlin to continue her field hockey career at Georgetown, and even more excited she is continuing her academic excellence at such a great university,” Zarrilli said. “I’m looking forward to hearing all about it and reading all the headlines about her as she continues her success in a new field.”

CHS junior Kara Gallagher of Middletown said, “She manages to give everything her all and I am so happy to see her dedication pay off now that she is heading to the Hilltop.”

When asked how Brice is handling the commitment, Gallagher continued, “Even though she is committed, she is still just as devoted to continuing to improve and work hard on and off the field, which is really admirable.”

Everything that has led up to Brice’s commitment has stemmed from who she is as a person: a student and an athlete.

“I am so thankful for my parents and all the risks they have taken so that I can train at WC Eagles,” Brice said.
Without the support system from my family, coaches and teammates, I definitely would not have gotten this far in my game.”