Students’ talents bloom on stage in Drama Club’s spring production of musical Little Shop of Horrors

Junior Justin Longo, playing Seymour Krelborn, holds Liza Madore’s Audrey in the May 11 rehearsal of the Drama Club’s Little Shop of Horrors. The cast performs a dance in their closing scene.

BLOT PHOTOS BY Patrick Gallagher

Stella Feinstein

A man-eating plant threatened to take over the theatrical world as Communications High School put on Little Shop of Horrors on May 13 and 14, 2023. Little Shop of Horrors follows a florist’s assistant, Seymour Krelborn, as he discovers a new genus of plant and is left to deal with the consequences.

Students, teachers and relatives gathered to see the student-led production, run by director Lucy Battista and producer Delia Mullen. Senior Lucy Battista of Tinton Falls states that the hardest part of the production was translating her vision to the stage.

“I didn’t really know what I was doing,” Battista said. “I was figuring out everything as I went along, and everything came together at the last minute.”

Last minute or not, audience member freshman Shawn Ribiero of West Long Branch thought that the cast and crew nailed it.

“It was so funny, especially the voice of Audrey II,” Ribiero said. “Everyone who was in it is incredibly talented.”

Audrey II, Krelborn’s flesh-eating creation, was a focal point of the stage all night. The mammoth plant, brought to life by its puppeteer, senior Lillian Chen of Tinton Falls, and voice actor, senior Robert Gill of Wall, evolved throughout the show from a weed to a beast large enough to devour four cast members.

Junior Justin Longo of Middletown played Krelborn, the troubled botanist. His favorite part: dealing with the 2.5-foot tall puppet.

“My favorite scene was probably ‘Feed Me,’” Longo said. “I loved interacting with Rob Gill’s majestic voice.”

The twelve-person cast began rehearsals in early February and spent four months preparing for the show – upwards of 13 hours a day together in the week leading up to the performances.

“The directors are students, as well as the cast, so it really feels like a collaborative experience,” Longo said. “Everyone was learning at the same time.”

Battista and Mullen took the spring musical as an opportunity to prepare Assistant Director Hannah Cohen and Assistant Producer Jordan Juliano to assume their roles next year.

“I’ve loved being a part of drama club the past two years, and this year Lucy really showed me what it’s like to be running the shows as opposed to performing,” Cohen said. “I’m sure it’ll be a nerve-wracking but also exciting year.”

As Battista graduates from CHS, she leaves one message for the future of the drama club.

“I would wish them luck, but I don’t think they need it,” Battista said.