Colorful CHS tradition makes long-awaited return

Champion Color Wars team tickled pink by victory over event

BLOT PHOTO BY HANNAH SMOLINSKI

The Light Blue Team, led by guidance counselor Sandra Gidos and sporting a Blue’s Clues theme, competes in the kickoff tug-of-war event of Color Wars on Friday, June 3. In true CHS fashion, the other teams are seen cheering their opponents on throughout the event.

Sanka Mudalige

The sweat running down your back, the crowd roaring, ten teams neck and neck with each other, and a small school brought together for an event much larger than themselves. Color Wars returned on June 3, 2022, and the students of CHS could not be happier.

An event regarded as one of the most important traditions at CHS, Color Wars has activities of both brain, brawn, and much more. Students flood into the school at 7:30 AM,  dressed in colored and customized shirts showing off their pride. It’s a morning of pure joy and competition, beginning with the team chants, followed by an intense game of tug-of-war. The day moves quickly, going into the PSFA breakfast straight into events. The events come to an end with the traditional pie eating contest; an event Color Wars would not be complete without.

After two years without Color Wars due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the return of the annual CHS Color Wars has assisted in solidifying the return of life as it was once known. 

“There’s a lot of nostalgia to it,” said senior Aidan Cole of Neptune. “It’s like seeing a good friend again.” 

The freshman, sophomore, and junior classes participated in this tradition for their first time– characterizing their CHS experience with the largest event in years. 

Sophomore Julia Grau of Millstone expressed how they didn’t experience Color Wars during their freshman year and the excitement behind its anticipated return.

“I feel like I was robbed of the experience in my freshman year,” Grau said. “It feels great to have [Color Wars] come back.” 

Many students stated how they enjoyed their first Color Wars experience. 

“To be honest, [Color Wars] exceeded my expectations,” sophomore Morgan Tashjian of Middletown said. “I had a great time hanging out with friends and participating in the events… it made the year more fun.” 

Students like freshman Ava Luu of Cream Ridge note the importance of having these events in order to form a stronger bond among classes, especially following the pandemic.

“I think my favorite part would definitely be having everyone come together and cheer each other on,” Luu said in regards to each team’s unique chant.

The Pink Team, sporting a Barbie theme, are this year’s Color Wars champions, followed closely by the Red and White Teams. 

Senior James Finnegan, a captain of the Pink team, noted that winning Color Wars was a strong end to his senior year.

“I think my team was amazing… it was so much fun and I’m super happy to go out on this note,” said Finnegan. Color Wars ties together Finnegan’s final year at CHS, leaving him with memories to hold for years to come. A little more importantly, this year’s Color Wars shows the students that a normal year, is not too far off.