SGA, class council elections attract motivated candidates

BLOT PHOTO BY BRIANNA DRIVER

Junior Lucy Battista presents her speech to CHS students in an assembly arranged for SGA elections on Thursday, May 19. Battista won the Executive election, taking on the role of SGA President for the 2022-2023 school year.

Kaitlin Brice

As the end of the school year quickly nears, class and club elections are in full swing at CHS. The Student Government Organization (SGA) recently elected their 2022-2023 council, who will be responsible for organizing various exciting CHS events.

The SGA held a “Meet the Candidates” event on May 9 so CHS students could familiarize themselves with each candidate before voting. With twelve candidates on the SGA council ballot, candidates used sweet treats and posters to persuade voters and make their names known. The candidates presented speeches during a school-wide assembly on May 19, which was immediately followed with the opening of the voting polls. 

Junior Lucy Battista of Tinton Falls won the Executive election, gaining the title of SGA President. Battista will be working alongside SGA Vice President junior Charles Raynor of Ocean Township. 

“I am ecstatic to work with the talented, dedicated SGA Council next year. Together,” Battista said. “We will welcome the incoming freshman and organize memorable school events.”

The SGA council consists of sophomore Justin Longo of Middletown, sophomore Sabrina Liding of Freehold Township, and junior Marina Berger of Marlboro. 

In her campaign, Berger emphasized the importance of the “CHS Experience” and her dedication to providing it for every student. 

“The CHS experience is a special, unique high school experience unlike any other with amazing memories and people around you,” Berger said. “I want to give every new student the CHS experience and continue it for everyone else.”

With the former SGA advisor, science teacher Leah Morgan on medical leave, physical education teacher Jennifer Baldaccini and guidance counselor Melanie Sambataro stepped in to lead the SGA. 

“The challenge was us learning the role we stepped into, but we had so much support to make it an easy transition,” Sambataro said. 

After the SGA elections, class council elections commenced. Class of 2024 sophomore Ronit Khromchenko of Manalapan is one of many candidates on the junior class council ballot.

“I am a little nervous since there are 20 other candidates running for Junior class council, but I’m more excited to campaign and share my ideas,” Khromchenko said.

Both the SGA and class council elections represent the balance of hard work and fun at CHS. As a member of the SGA council, Longo describes the talented individuals he will work alongside. 

“The SGA council is a group of people that know how to have fun, but are also very dedicated to bettering the school,” Longo said. “We are all very driven to make next year memorable.”