Masks down, cases up: two months after mandate lift

BLOT PHOTO BY AARON DIAMENT

CHS currently follows a mask-optional policy, where students have the choice to wear a mask if they feel inclined to. Some students have kept their mask on; others have taken the mask off.

Avery Booth

For over two years, a global pandemic engulfed the world. Our lives changed in countless ways, and for many of us, we felt like our lives would never return to a time where we could stand within six feet of another person or leave our homes. But have we returned to these pre-pandemic times?

Two months ago, CHS had announced that wearing masks would be optional, providing hope of progress since the pandemic. Many of the students and faculty removed their masks and showed their faces once again and have continued to do so despite the increase in COVID-19 cases.  This begs the question of what kind of progress has been made since the pandemic began.  

According to the New York Times, from March 7, 2022, to May 24, the daily cases rose from 975 to 6,124 — over six times more cases in under three months.  

School nurse and district head nurse Dorthoy Condon also noticed an increase in cases at CHS, especially due to students traveling during spring break. 

“On March 7, when the mask mandate was lifted, the CALI (COVID-19 Activity Level Index)  score here in New Jersey was low, we were in a moderate status being the color yellow,” Condon said. “Recently two weeks ago the CALI score went from yellow to orange meaning high again.”

Freshman Tanner Grigoli of Oakhurst chose to remove his mask once CHS lifted the mandate..  

“I feel like everything is getting back to how it used to be,” Grigoli said.

Despite the rising cases, Grigoli does not feel enough motivation to revert back to wearing a mask to school.

“Now that COVID cases are increasing again, I have thought about putting one back on, but ultimately, I don’t think I will, because when I’m wearing a mask I feel like I’m suppressing myself in a way,” Grigoli said. “Our face is important in the fact that it is unique. Masks hide it.”

On the other hand, freshman Isabel Moller of Tinton Falls decided to continue to wear a mask.

“I guess it’s mostly because of safety,” Moller said, noting that next year she plans to remove her mask during school.

In addition, Principal James Gleason plans on implementing the pre-pandemic lunch schedule, where the lunch period is divided into halves rather than thirds. Over the summer, the district pandemic team will meet and potentially issue protocols for next year.  

“In August, we will meet and we will begin those regulations and those recommendations from the DOE and the state,” Condon, a member of the team that includes MCVSD Superintendent Dr. Charles Ford, MCVSD assistant superintendent Sean Meehan and approximately 15 other MCVSD officials, said.  “And that’s what we will use to set the tone for the beginning of the school year next year.”

Protocols and regulations seem to be decreasing, yet cases are steadily increasing. At CHS, some students are keeping their masks on.

“I like to see masks on students when they feel like they want to protect their health and safety,” Condon said.