Assembly and Italian ice kick off the school year

SGA+member+Rebecca+Madiera+of+Howell+hands+out+Italian+ice+to+students+on+the+first+day.+

CATHERINE ESCUETA

SGA member Rebecca Madiera of Howell hands out Italian ice to students on the first day.

Dylan Josephson

Students crowded into the cafeteria today during fourth period for the annual first day assembly. Principal James Gleason kicked off the assembly to welcome both new and returning students to the 2016-17 school year.

“It is an outstanding pleasure, it is so nice to see everybody today. It gets to be kind of lonely around here after two months in July and August,” Gleason said.

Gleason also talked about the amazing things that could happen this school year and he thanked all of the faculty for their hard work.

SGA Vice President and senior Julia Pardee of Freehold spoke about the different events throughout the year.

“Like everyone says, high school goes by really quickly,” Pardee said.

She also encouraged all students to make the most of their time at CHS before she introduced President and senior Mark Dispigna of Lincroft. Dispigna gave each grade words of advice for this year. The assembly concluded, for the fourth year in a row, with the arrival of an Italian ice truck.

Junior Kathleen Gibson of Wall said that she thinks the Italian ice truck is the perfect way to kick off the school year.

“I think it really brings us all together as a family because it’s just like one giant big hug, but in ice cream form,” Gibson said.