Vetser begins first year as math teacher

Delia Noone

Math teacher Cheryl Vetser taught at four other schools before CHS, including the Allied Academy of Health and Science and Brookdale Community College.

Allie Beekman

New Algebra 1 and Precalculus teacher Cheryl Vetser joined the 81 new freshman as a “new kid” when she started her first day at CHS on Wednesday, Sept 8.  

Vetser has previously taught at four other schools: FDR High School in Brooklyn, Petrides High School in Staten Island, Allied Academy of Health and Science and, most recently, Brookdale Community College.

“CHS has been a warm and inviting place,” Vetser said. “I have found an amazing mentor in Ms. Lane and many students have also been helpful.”

Freshman Riley Forrester of Spring Lake Heights is in Vetser’s first period Algebra 1 class and said she had a good first impression of the new teacher.

“I thought she was very nice and was trying to make everyone comfortable with her and each other,” Forrester said.

Sophomore Heather Griffin of Wall said Vetser’s Precalculus class has a good atmosphere.

“I feel like she’ll really work with us to make sure that we understand everything, so I got a good first impression,” Griffin said.

Junior Sydney Karlin of Matawan is happy to have a new face in the building.

“I’m happy that we have a new teacher,” Karlin said. “I don’t know much about her yet and I had to leave early but she seems nice and she’s really open to the entire class.”

Senior Erica Lalor of Aberdeen expressed her optimism for the Precalculus class this semester.

“She definitely seemed open to talking to all the students and adapting to their learning styles, so I think it’s gonna be a good year,” Lalor said.

Vetser is also optimistic about not just this school year, but also her future at CHS.

“Brookdale and Allied were also great places to be but I hope to call CHS my new home,” Vetser said.